WESTERN ROUTE: BAKU - HAJIGABUL - KURDEMIR - YEVLAKH - TERTER - NAFTALAN - GANJA - KHANLAR - DASHKESEN - SHEMKIR - GEDEBEY - TOVUZ - AGSTAFA - GAZAKH
Population of HAJIGABUL DISTRICT is 60.000, center of district is Hajigabul city, number of its population is 22,000. Hajigabul district is located in a part of ancient fruitful land of Mugan in Kur-Araz lowland. Climate is semi-desert, dry and hot, winter is mild. Temperature of weather is not lower than positive 6 degree in winter. It rains less, but tugai forests and bushes exist along the Kur River.
HAJIGABUL LAKE created as a result of natural withdrawal of Caspian Sea in certain geological period is situated within this district. Bed of the lake was enlarged as a result of flood of Kur River in springtime. Now used hot waters of Ali-Bayramly State District Power Station flows into this lake. This lake, depth of which does not exceed 5 meter, is not frozen in winter. It has big importance as suitable place in winter for migrant birds, as well for water-march birds to build a nest. Many of those birds belong to unique types that face the danger of being ended.
Carpet-weaving has developed here since the ancient times. Shirvan school's tradition of weaving the hand carpets called "Sari khalcha" is continued still.
HAJIGABUL city, administrative center of district, is located in 113 km from Baku. Meaning of its name is 'God accept your Hajj visit'. Visit of Muslims to saint Medina and Mecca cities is called 'Hajj'. Honorary title 'Hajji' is granted to the person having visited Hajj and this word is used before its name. Hajj visit is a complex of religious concepts and covers the requests of mercy, different confessions from Allah. So, it comes clear from name of Hajigabul city that it was a camp not only for trade caravans but also for Hajj pilgrims. Sometimes pilgrims used to go in caravans, sometimes they promised to walk till Hajj. There were caravanserais here to receive both pilgrims and merchants traveling the Persian Gulf region.
In XVII century Shah Abbas built a big caravanserai near Hajigabul Lake and a city was built here when dynasty of the Safavi was in reign and this city was called Mahmudabad at the time. Later this name was forgotten and city was called again Hajigabul. But this territory was inhabited yet 5 thousand years ago - archeologists found out ruins of cyclopean buildings in HARAMI Mountain in north-west of city. Petroglyphs in walls of these buildings catch the attention. There were found out images of people and extraordinary, fantastic animals on the stones near. Scientists suppose this object belongs to Eneolith era. Other historical-architectural monuments remain near Hajigabul. In Gubali Baloglan village Pir Huseyn Khanegah includes: ancient mosque with minaret, castle walls, caravanserai, living buildings (XIII-XIV centuries), mausoleum of Sheikh Huseyn, who lived in XI century, (this mausoleum that was built in honor of sheikh was erected after two centuries after his death), as well ancient bridge (XVII-XIX centuries).
Glazed brick of Khanegah reflecting picture of lion is considered one of the best in the East. At the present time a part of this bricks is at The Hermitage in Saint-Petersburg and Nizami Ganjavi's Literature Museum in Baku. Gungormez defense tower of early middle ages remained in Udulu village.
Apparently from name of this tower people defended there were protected themselves till their last breath in fight against enemy.
Number of population of district is 96.400, district center is Kurdemir city, its population is 17.800 people. KURDEMIR DISTRICT is situated in Shirvan, historical province of Azerbaijan, in north-west from Baku. This beautiful and fruitful land is very attractive for tourism and recreation. It sometimes is called Gulustan.
Summer is hot and dry in Kurdemir. Climate is steppe. Fauna of district is diverse - there are wolf, fox, jackal, wild boar, pheasant, turac, wild duck and goose here. Vineyards of this land are very famous. The very famous type of grape is "Shirvanshahly". Kurdemir is famous with its carpet-weaving traditions. The most popular type of local carpets in world market is "Shilyan" carpet. This carpet is woven at the same-called village near Kurdemir.
KURDEMIR CITY, administrative center of Kurdemir district, is located on the left bank of Kur River, in 189 km from BAKU.
Numerous cafes and restaurants here located along the Baku-Ganja highway are available for lunch. Most popular of them is "Garabag" Restaurant situated in 5 km west of district center.
Number of population of district is 110.700, district center is Yevlakh city, its population is 52.900 people. Yevlakh district is situated on the right bank of Kur River and one of biggest cities of the region called by the people GANJABASAR (it is called so because was the territory of former Ganja Khanate). Ganjabasar region covers a number of districts of Azerbaijan. These districts are similar for their joint history and geographic-climate circumstance.
YEVLAKH CITY, administrative center of Yevlakh district, is 280km away from Baku. Yevlakh is located on the cross of numerous roads. Roads lead from here directly to Mingechevir, Sheki, Balaken, Ganja and Khankendi cities. It is not accidental that Yevlakh is called "Door of Karabakh" in written sources of XII century. Both caravans and travelers used to pass from these "doors", as well flocks of sheep used to be taken to pastures in alpine meadows. A number of archeological objects of Bronze Age and early middle ages were found out in Garamammadly, Garamanly and Khaldan villages of Yevlakh.
Number of population of district is 94.200, district center is Terter city, its population is 17.900 people.
Fruitful land of Karabakh is one of the very ancient regions of Azerbaijan. Popular Karabakh Khanate, center of which was Shusha city, was located here in due time. There are numerous historical-architectural monuments, rich flora and fauna here. One of the colorful types of Azeri carpets - Karabakh carpet was created here, famous sort of Karabakh race horses was raised here. This land, possessing such a rich natural features, gave numerous talented writers, poets and musicians to Azerbaijan. Most popular singers - mugham singers (mugham - national musical genre of Azerbaijan) have come from Karabakh. And mugham melodies are base to national opera of Azerbaijan.
Unfortunately Karabakh is under occupation of Armenians at present time.
TERTER DISTRICT is situated along the lower flow of Terterchay, borders upon Injechay from north. Temperature is not lower than positive 2 degree in winter and rarely exceeds 25 degree in summer. Climate is different within the district - mild and semi-desert climates are specific to different regions. Just because of such a changeable climate sheep-breeding is widespread here. Khachinchay crosses this district.
In due time this territory was a constituent part of Albanian state, which was one of early state institutions (Manna, Mydia, Atropaten, Caucasian Albania) of Azerbaijan. Like other Azerbaijanis, Albans also believed in religion of Zoroaster in ancient times, converted to the Christianity later.
TERTER CITY is administrative center of Terter district. City is situated on the both banks of Terterchay, 332km from Baku. Agriculture and cattle-breeding, as well ancient folk arts such as carpet-weaving, weaving and sewing are developed here. Terter city, located on the ancient caravan way, was called Chaparkhana in due time. A number of architectural monuments exist in Terter, Kengerly, Garadagly, Gaynag, Azad Garagoyunlu villages of district.
Number of population of small NAPHTHALAN CITY located near Goranboy city, center of Goranboy district, is 6.5000. Patients coming to sanatoriums and pensions of this resort city are treated with Naphthalan oil and solutions made of it. Naphthalan oil is very effective for treatment of injures, dermatologic, nervous, urologic and gynecologic diseases, liver, joints and soft tissues around joints. Naphthalan city was built in the place of the same-called small village. The word 'naphtha', which is the base of this name, means 'flowing, leaking' from language of Mydia that was one of the ancient state structures in Azerbaijani territory. Yet a few thousand years ago Azerbaijanis were able to use the naphthalene for different purposes. Not only local residents used Naphthalan oil to treat the wounds, also soldiers of Alexander of Macedonia, Roman legionaries and Vikings, as well alans, khezers and reps of other tribes that attacked Azerbaijan in due time used Naphthalan oil to treat their wounds. Naphthalane used to be exported as well. It was transported to other countries - Kiev Russian State, Central Asia, Afghanistan, India, Persian Gulf countries through caravan routes. Famous traveler of middle ages Marco Polo called the Naphthalan oil 'magical solution to treat dermatologic diseases'. When oil industry started to rapidly develop in Azerbaijan in XIX century, number of European engineers, manufacturers and bankers increased much in Azerbaijan. In 1874 German engineer Yeager took interest in what the local people said on Naphthalan oil and regulated the production of 'Naphthalan" ointment in Germany. He exported that solution to different countries. Obviously, Germans producing solutions in base of Azerbaijani Naphthalane were good managers because this solution was used not only in European countries. First-aid set of Japanese soldiers included jars containing naphthalane ointments during Russian-Japan war in 1904. This ointment was used as first-aid means. It was written on those jars: 'One having this solution should not be afraid of any wound.
Visitors can stay at "Chinar" sanatorium here.
GANJA CITY - is located on the banks of Ganjachay in Ganja-Gazakh lowland. City is divided in two by river. Two climate zones exist here - mild-hot semi-desert and dry steppe climate, as well mild hot climate. Number of population of city is 302.000. City is situated in 375km from Baku.
Ganja is the second biggest city of Azerbaijan. There are Ganja State University, Academy of Agriculture, Ganja Branch of National Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan, Scientific-Research Cotton-growing Institute, Experimental Agriculture Station here. Modern Olympic Sport Complex was built in city.
Ganja is homeland of world-famous poet NIZAMI GANJAVI, poetess MAHSATI KHANIM, MIRZA SHAFI VAZEH. There are many historical monuments here. There are JUMA MOSQUE and its madrasah, SHEIKH IBRAHIM Mausoleum, GIZIL HAJILY, OZAN, BALA BAGBANLY, SHEREFKHANLY and SHAHSEVEN Mosques, Great Bridge and Small Bridge built on the Ganjachay (XII century), caravanserai and complex of buildings, IMAMZADE with blue cupola of glazed brick, very beautiful ancient City bathhouses (bathhouses are available now) here. Guests are recommended to visit Nizami Ganjavi Mausoleum located in the entry of city.
Ganja is one the most ancient cities, which played important role in history of our country in different periods.
Arabs called this city Ganza. During excavations conducted in Ganja archeologists discovered ancient habitations of II century B.C., many archeological objects belonging to Bronze Age around Ganja.
History of Ganja includes its destruction by invaders and revival after that. Ganja was destroyed in Khazar-Arab wars by foreign invaders, tribes such as the alan, Mongol, Georgian kings and Osmanly. After destruction of residence of Christian head of Albans in Barda in XI century, his residence was moved to Ganja. Christians and Muslims used to live in peace together in Ganja, goods taken to Black Sea coasts from Eastern countries were transported through caravan ways crossing this city.
In XII century Ganja was capital and residence of feudal lords. But at the time two strong quakes happened in the city. As a result of quake happened in 1139 Ganja was destroyed, nearly 250,000 of city residents died. One of peaks of Kepez Mountain fell and created Goygol Lake by blocking the way of Agsu River.
In XVII century city was rebuilt in 6km east from previous place. In the earlier XVIII century Ganja again underwent attack of invaders, in the mid of the same century became center of Ganja Khanate. Ganja Khanate existed until it was occupied by Russia. When Russian troops, number of which was more, attacked Ganja in 1804, band of Javadkhan defended Ganja in heroic way and Javadkhan himself bravely died. After this event, in 1804 name of Ganja was changed in honor of Russian Empress Elizabeth and called Yelizavetpol.
In 1918 - on the eve of collapse of Russian Empire Ganja was a capital of independent Azerbaijan Republic for a few months.
Then school of officers was opened in Ganja. Name of Ganja was again changed in 1935 to Kirovabad. Only after Azerbaijan regained independence in 1989 and on the eve of collapse of USSR historical name of Ganja maws restored.
HAJIKEND resort zone is located now near Ganja. There are numerous tourist routes, pensions, tourist bases and rest houses here.
'GOYGOL State Reserve is first in Azerbaijan. area of this reserve created in 1925 in order to protect and study ecologic systems of middle mountainous, forest and partly subalpine areas, as well Goygol, Maralgol, Zeligol and other mountain lakes, consists of forests and mountain meadows.
Goygol, which is located in south of Ganja at the north foots of Murovdag, in 1566m above sea level, is rightly called pearl of Azerbaijan lakes. This reserve that is the first in Caucasus is consisted of two parts - main part and branch called 'FOREST OF ELDAR PINE'. Distance between the two parts of reserve is 80-85km.
Ganja got own history-regional geography museum. There are very interesting findings of Bronze Age among exhibits of museum. Drama Theatre and Child Puppet Theatre function in Ganja.
'Ganja' Hotel, located in city center, is available for tourists and guests of city.
Number of population of district is 54.400, district center is Khanlar city, its population is 17.600 people.
KHANLAR DISTRICT is situated at the foots of Small Caucasus, a bit south of Ganja. Agriculture is well-developed in this district, which has very nice landscape. Climate is mild hot. There are many bird nests here. Ganjachay and Gushgara rivers are best places for hunting and fishing. Highest peak of district is Murovdag range that is located in 3724m above sea level. This district is very popular among tourists and ecotourists. They lodge at houses of local people and surrounding villages.
Administrative center of Khanlar district is KHANLAR CITY located in 384km from Baku.
Khanlar city was built in XIX century by refugee Germans in place of ancient village called Khaniglar. They planned this city with order specific to themselves and called it Yeleniyendorf in 1819. Smooth streets of this city, facades, reflecting flutes, of houses built of wood, protestant church (Lutheran church) remind German style. Local Germans living here were exiled to Middle Asia during USSR time on the order of Stalin.
There are local history-regional geographic, music school, cinema, many cafes and restaurants in Khanlar. Tourists visiting this silent and green city travel from there to tourist zones on different routes. Archeological findings belonging to Bronze and iron ages confirm that this city possess ancient history. LUTHERAN CHURCH (1854), 'IKIGOZLU KORPU' (XVI c) and 'UCHGOZLU KORPU' (1896) on Ganjachay have remained safe till now as historical-architectural monuments. Monuments remained near Khanlar include castle of XII century in ZURNABAD village, MAUSOLEUM of XVI century in SARI GAYA village, 'AG KORPU' of XII century in TOPALHASANLY village, a number of historical monuments in CHAYKEND village.
Number of population of district is 31.400, district center is Dashkesen city, its population is 9.400 people. DASHKESEN DISTRICT, located at the north-east foots of Small Caucasus, is ore producing center of Azerbaijan. Temperature is strictly changeable. 20 degrees of frost in winter (this is not characteristic for Azerbaijan) and 35 degrees of hot in summer like in Absheron, climate of which is semi-desert. District attracts both tourists and people resting with its fresh air, mountainous grasslands rich with alpine meadows, springs.
Archeologists found out ruins of ancient habitations belonging Stone Age in areas of Khoshbulag, Zagaly, Gurbulag, Emirvar, Bayan, Darderya villages of this district. Two ancient stone bridges built on the GUSHGARA RIVER and mausoleum in Ahmadly village are historical-architectural monuments remained till now. Monastery built in Gushchu village in 487 is safe. There are ruins of Christian temple of XV century in Bayan village.
Administrative center of district is DASHKESEN CITY, which is located in 397kn from Baku. Apparently from its name this region was famous with its sculptors that were considered masters of art of carving out stone and wood since the ancient times. At present time folk arts such as carpet-weaving and sock-weaving well-developed.
Customers are offered here national cuisine at small restaurants, delicious national meals made of fresh meat at kebab-houses, as well national music performed by ashigs (national improvisator singers). Dashkesen's honey is one of the best in republic. Residents of nearby Ganja city love to rest in Khoshbulag village of Dashkesen district.
Number of population of district is 178.400, district center is Shemkir city, its population is 36.100 people.
There are many archeological objects of Bronze and early Iron ages in SHEMKIR DISTRICT. They mostly were discovered in CHENLIBEL, SEYIDLER and GARAJAEMIRLY villages. There are also a number of historical-architectural monuments o middle ages: castles in TATARLY and ASHAGI SEYFELLY villages, bridges in TEHNELI village and on the ZEYEM River, Christian churches in YUKHARI CHAYKEND, GUNESHLY, DAG JEYIRLY villages.
There are beloved places of fishers here - YENIKEND dam on KUR River is specially popular.
SHEMKIR CITY, administrative center of district, can be reached in an hour with a car from Ganja. Shemkir is 417km away from Baku.
There was a small colony called Annenfeld of German refugees here in XIX century. Like in Khanlar, residents of this colony also left here a number of streets that are ideally smooth and Lutheran church.
According to written sources and archeological information this city was built in V-VI centuries on the bank of GREAT SHEMKIR River near current MUKHTARIYYAT village, 20km from modern Shemkir.
There was 8-tower feudal castle in that city that was called SHAMKUR in Middle Ages. Wealth of Shamkur caught attention of not only merchants as well invaders. As many of ancient cities of Azerbaijan, Shamkur, too, was destroyed for many times, then restored and held the period of progress. But after one of the next attacks, survived population of city moved and built new city.
Two ancient castles belonging to XVII century remain around modern Shemkir. These are SHAMKHOR CASTLE and KOROGLU CASTLE (name of this castle was chosen as our national symbol in honor of hero Koroglu, who bravely fought against despots). Most of scientists think that Koroglu was real historical personality. But it was not convincingly qualified whether he really lived in Chenlibel castle.
You may have lunch at one of restaurants 'KHAN SARAYI', 'MUROVDAG', 'EFES-1' in Shemkir. Special house or room can be rented to live here.
Number of population of district is 89.300, district center is Gedebey city, its population is 8.500 people.
GEDEBEY DISTRICT is situated in Small Caucasus Mountains, as well in high mountains (height of Goshabulag peak is 3549m, Gojadag peak is 3317m) and mountains with middle height. Different levels of territory above sea make climate changeable. Climate, specific to tundra, of mountainous area partly transfers into dry climate accompanied with hot summer. Distance between district center and Baku is 462km.
Road from Shemkir or Govlar station of Tovuz leads to Gedebey. Tovuz route is more beautiful but cars pass this way hardly: jeeps are recommended here.
There is good circumstance within Gedebey district for fishing in Shemkir River. There is special fishing farm near GALAKEND village. Flora and fauna of Gedebey district is rich and various. 'GIZILAGAJ' reserve is located within this district. A number of nature objects that are included in list of objects preserved by state as 'Nature monuments of Azerbaijan' - SHAMLIG, GAMISH, GODEKDERE, GOVDU forests are here. It also includes KECHI-KECHI, JUYUR, AYI, JERGE springs as well NARZAN, GIZILJA, MORMOR, CHALDASH mineral water springs.
Ancient cultural monuments that entered Azerbaijani history under name of KHOJALY-GEDEBEY CULTURE - Cyclopean buildings belonging to Bronze age, as well 'GEDEBEY TREASURES' - domestic appliances and ancient jewelry jugs, silver coins belonging to XVI century - reign of Shah Tahmasib were discovered here. These coins were used in from Tebriz (current Iran) to Shirvan and Ganja.
Historical-architectural buildings that are safe within district include TAGLY KORPU (XIX c), GULLE in GALA village (XVI c), GIZ GALASI in SOYUDLU village (or Namerd Gala - IX c), Christian temples of early middle ages in NOVOSARATOVKA, SOYUDLU, CHANAKHCHI and KILEVI villages.
Reps of old Russian tribe called "dukhobor' live in SARATOVKA village. They have protected their material and moral culture so far.
Folk arts such as wood carving, carpet-weaving, sock and glove-weaving from color wool, processing of sheep leather are wide-spread in this region.
Territory of Azerbaijan was paid attention by some of popular western owners. For instance, THE BROTHERS NOBEL became rich due to Baku oil. Germany's 'SIEMENS' company built two copper-smelting plants in Gedebey in later XIX century. 25% of all the copper smelt in Russia of czar was carried out at these plants. The brothers Siemens took interest in history of this extra-ordinary land and organized implementation of archeological excavations in this region. According to results of those excavations scientific work titled 'GALAEKN' was written.
Visitors can stay at the hotel located in city center.
Number of population of district is 147.600, district center is Tovuz city, its population is 12.800 people.
TOVUZ DISTRICT of Azerbaijan is situated in west of republic, borders on Georgia and Armenia. Kur, Akhinja, Tovuz, Zeyem and other rivers cross territory of this district. There are many forests, springs, rich flora and fauna (wolf, fox, rabbit, turaj, partridge) on the mountains. Climate is dry, mainly rabbit and water birds can be hunted.
Ancient monuments have been preserved in Tovuz district. Most interesting ones of them include temple of XII century in KIRZAN village, mosque of XVII century in YANIGLY village, mausoleums in GAZGULU village, castle in ALIBEYLY village and etc. There are also numerous archeological objects of Bronze, Iron and early Middle Ages here.
Administrative center of district - TOVUZ CITY is 457km from Baku.
Like majority of Azerbaijani cities, Tovuz also was built in place of ancient habitations belonging to Stone and Bronze ages. This city left the traces in genetic memory of people as if to remind the places where our fathers replaced each other during millenniums. According to the ancient Turkish sources, name of this city was taken from names of two relative Turkish tribes - OGUZ and TOGUZ. This name was confirmed as toponym just because it was created here.
As modern settlement, foundation of Tovuz city was laid by German refugees, they called this city Traubenfeld.
There is small museum of famous Ashig Huseyn Bozalganly (1860-1942) in Tovuz. Ashig Huseyn Bozalganly knew by heart the whole Koroglu epos.
Tourists visiting here stay at homes of local residents mostly. Residents lease separate rooms or houses. 'GUNAY' motel is also available. There are restaurants in Tovuz. Biggest ones of them are 'XXI Century', 'ANAR' and 'VLADIVOSTOK'.
Number of population of district is 75.600, district center is Agstafa city, its population is 12.100 people.
AGSTAFA DISTRICT is situated at the foots of Great Caucasus Mountains, in frontier of Azerbaijan with Georgia and Armenia. Climate is mild. Local people are engaged mainly in cattle-breeding and agriculture.
A few small rivers and branch of Kur River - Agstafachay run through district. JANDARGOL Lake is situated here. GELACHMA Spring in TATLY village, which is located in 20km from Agstafa city, is favorable rest place for local people and tourists. Customers adore kebab made here.
GARAYAZI State Reserve, covering 4,9 thousand hectares of area on the bank of Kur river, was created in 1978 to preserve and restore tugai forests around Kur, Garayazi lowland and middle flow of Kur river. Major object protected in reserve is tugai forestland.
'GARAYAZI-AGSTAFA' Reserve that was established in 1923 in area of 12,0 thousand hectares, is located within Agstafa district. Goal of creation of this reserve was to protect Caucasian deer, pheasant, turaj, other types of unique animals and birds and lift their number. Reserve is situated in tugai forestland in middle flow of Kur River, in border between Georgia and Azerbaijan. Flora and fauna of this reserve is identical to ones of 'GARAYAZI' Reserve, which directly borders on it.
A number of historical monuments were discovered within district: ancient habitation called MOLLA NAGI TEPESI of Paleolithic age near KOCHASGER village, GULLE of XVII century and MOSQUE of XIX century in GIRAG KESEMEN village, mosques of XIX century in KOLKHALVALY, GARAHASANLY, DAGKESEMEN and DUZ GISHLAG villages and etc. There are too many monuments here belonging to Stone, Bronze and Iron ages. These facts show that level of habitation of this region was very high in ancient times. There is need for detailed study of all these archeological objects and realization of new excavations.
There are defense castle and cave-monasteries, built in Caucasian Albania during early Christianity, near herdsman places, which are grasslands for sheep flocks in summer, in Keshikchidag Range in upper part of Agstafa city. This zone was banned to visit during USSR, because military units of TransCaucasus Military Division were located there. This is why that unique complex was not studied in required manner. It was prohibited zone, many of ancient images in caves were wiped off with artillery fires. This complex, which belongs to Caucasian Albania - one of state structures of ancient Azerbaijan, is studied at present time by archeologists of National Academy of Sciences.
AGSTAFA City is situated near Georgian border, 479km from Baku. City was built in 1914 as railway junction. The city, territory of which was small then, was called Yelizavetinka.
Train takes from here to Georgian capital Tbilisi. Special attention is paid to protection of historical-architectural monuments and cultural heritage of Agstafa district - carpet-weaving and ashig creativity. Findings discovered by archeologists - vase, glass, domestic appliances and ornaments are kept at local regional geography museum.
There are park, cinema, as well restaurants 'TOURIST', 'INJEGUL, 'TURAL', 'SERINLIK', 'KARVAN', 'POYLU', 'DELI KUR', 'TUT BAGI', 'BANOVSHA' and others in small and comfortable Agstafa city.
'HASANGULU' hotel is available for tourists on the road Tovuz-Agstafa. Hotel includes a restaurant.
Number of population of district is 83.000, district center is Gazakh city, its population is 19.000 people. GAZAKH DISTRICT is situated near western borders of Azerbaijan. In general, Gazakh and Agstafa districts are considered western borders of not modern Azerbaijan only as well state of Caucasian Albania. Division of this region into two independent administrative districts - Gazakh and Agstafa districts took place not long ago. There are historical monuments (architectural and archeological monuments) here that are preserved by state: SINIG KORPU (XII c), DAMJILI Cave, Temple of V century in YUKHARI ESKIPARA village, SHEKER GALA Temple of XV century, DIDEVAN megalith Defense Castle, Temples Complex of Alban era (VII c) in DASH SALAHLY village, GOYAZAN Mountain (last middle ages), which is attractive with ruins of castle walls, and ruins of ancient city recently discovered near that.
There are many ancient habitations within Gazakh district: caves periodically inhabited by Neanderthals in AVEY Mountain, between Dash Salahly and Kemerly villages, Injesu River valley, north-east parts of Small Caucasus, settlements of Cro-Magnon men near DAMJILI cave in Avey Mountain, KHAL-KHAL city place near beautiful pinky-golden GIZIL GAYA and ruins of castle walls were found out. This territory is supposed to be one of summer residences of Alban rulers. Without implementing any excavations, archeologists found here numerous ruins of ceramic appliances of Bronze Age on the surface of ground. In due time Albans destroyed troops of Roman Pompey here. Ancient written sources say about this: '10,000 horsemen and 60,000 pedestrians of Albans were fighting against troops of Pompey'.
Barrow graves of Bronze Age were discovered in BERKIN AGZI canyon, which is located a bit west of GIZIL GAYA. All these historical objects (except Sinig korpu) are nearby Gazakh city. Due to efforts of initiator men of this land, numerous archeological artifacts have been collected and exhibited at local Regional geography museum. People coming to YUKHARI SALAHLY village can visit here house of popular Azeri Poet SAMAD VURGUN.
Relief of Gazakh district - mountains, valleys, rivers (Kur, Agstafachay, Jogaz, Khramchay) have always been effective for seasonal cattle-breeding. In winter local herdsmen bring sheep frocks from pastures (mountainous grasslands) and keep them here. Local character of folk music and national cuisine is connected to natural circumstance of this territory. Ashigs are many here, they are invited to family celebrations and holidays.
Ancient name of GAZAKH CITY is supposed to be 'Kasal' and 'Qazaka'. By some written sources, Mervan ibn Mohammad built a city here in VIII century.
Gazakh, which is the last biggest city in western frontier of Azerbaijan, is homeland of talented poets and writers. Population of Gazakh is known as people with special poetic emotions. A number of popular ashigs, scientists and fighters were born here. Poets Samad Vurgun, Molla Panah Vagif, writers Mehdi Huseyn, Ismail Shikhly, general Aliaga Shikhlinsky, who was called 'God of Artillery' and took part in defense of Port-Arthur Castle, and others are from Gazakh. First Teachers Seminary in Azerbaijan was opened here - in Gazakh in 1917.
There are museums reflecting life of famous poets VAGIF and VIDADI, origin of Gazakh, ancient mosque and other interesting objects in the city. Gazakh is also popular as one of the very ancient carpet-weaving centers and horse-breeding factories. Local horses DILIBOZ raised here are specially famous. There is big need in world market for carpets 'Dag Kesemen', 'Gazakhcha', 'Aggoyunlu', 'Dord Buynuz', 'Shikhly', 'Chobankere', 'Borchaly', 'Fakhraly', 'Gaymagly' that are products of Gazakh carpet school. Cuisine of Gazakh region consists of simple but very delicious meat and floury meals. Tourists are recommended to stay at houses of local residents.
|Agdjabedi||+19 +21 °C|
|Ali-Bayramli||+22 +24 °C|
|Baku||+25 +27 °C|
|Balaken||+21 +23 °C|
|Ganja||+22 +24 °C|
|Gazakh||+23 +25 °C|
|Ismaylli||+20 +22 °C|
|Khachmaz||+19 +21 °C|
|Lenkoran||+22 +24 °C|
|Nakhchivan||+20 +22 °C|
|Sumgait||+25 +27 °C|
|Yevlakh||+22 +24 °C|